Wednesday 17 February 2010

A Hip Dip

Pretty lame title, you say? How can a dip be hip, you ask?

Well, this one is not only hip; it is boss, way cool, far out, groovy, neato, fab-flippin-tastic - and whatever other slang term you can think of or remember from your youth that would best describe something that�s absolutely, totally, incredibly, unbelievably, mind-bogglingly awesome. Most of the words I can bring to mind are no doubt pretty antiquated, but I�m in my mid 40s now, so I�m headed towards being a little antiquated myself. So there�s that.

Anyway.

I mentioned awhile back that I do a lot of home cooking, which I enjoy. I�m pretty sure that my family also enjoys this too; they come right away when I call them for supper and they help themselves to seconds, so I�m convinced that they find the meals I make tasty. Now, if they pretended not to hear me when I called them or regularly had �other� plans for that evening, which, coincidentally, included supper at a friend�s house (a.k.a nearby restaurant) then my culinary skills would be questionable.

Okay.

Now that I�ve patted myself on the back and sung my own praises, let me share this scrumptious recipe that I found in my Weight Watcher�s cookbook. You can use it as a dip for cut up vegetables, as a spicy spread on sandwiches, as a topping on baked potatoes or whatever other way you please. And not only is it delicious, it�s also low in fat and calories (for those of you watching the waistline), and quick and easy to prepare. You can�t get better than that.

Nutritional information per serving (1/4 cup): 16 Cal, 0 g Fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 0 mg Chol, 23 mg Sod, 4 g Carb, 1 g Fib, 1 g Prot, 7 mg Calc.


ROASTED RED PEPPER DIP

2 large red bell peppers, roasted (see notes below)
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In a food processor (I use a blender), puree the roasted peppers (and their juice), tomato paste, vinegar, garlic and cayenne until smooth. Keep refrigerated.

Notes:

Roasting Bell Peppers (Weight Watcher's Style)
Preheat the broiler, line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the bell peppers on the baking sheet, turning frequently until charred on all sides (about 10 minutes). Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Place a strainer over a small bowl. Peel the peppers over the strainer, discarding the cores and seeds and allowing the juices to drip into the bowl.

Roasting Bell Peppers (My Style)
Cut each pepper in 4 pieces and remove the seeds and membranes. Place the sliced peppers (flattened) on a baking tray lined with foil paper and broil until the skins are black.



Remove peppers from oven, transfer them to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap (or plate) for 10 - 15 minutes.


Peel away the skins, slice each pepper into small slices and place them in the food processor (or blender) to puree.



Using Ready Made Roasted Peppers
If you are short on time, you can use a 7 ounce jar of roasted red peppers that are not packed in oil. Drain them and slowly add the liquid to the food processor to reach the right consistency.


That�s all there is to it folks. The end result will look like this:


Mmmm...mmmm... Now where did I put my spoon? The BIG one...

0 comments:

Post a Comment