Wednesday 28 April 2010

Any More Plants? But Of Course!

Oh come on, people; what kind of question is that? You didn�t honestly think that I�d given up on bringing home any more plants, did you? The garden centers are brimming with all kinds of botanical goodies, and since I�m a botanical junkie, well, need I say more?

Plus, I�ve been saving money all winter for this, not to mention the fact that I have the home�s entire landscape to build. Let�s just say that it�s a garden extravaganza!

So, let�s get to the plants...the new ones...

1) Sempervivum tectorum (Hens and Chicks):



I love indoor succulents, so it�s not surprising that I would love them for the garden as well. I bought two of these lovely plants to add to the back. I�ve never grown something like this outdoors before; it�ll be a new experience. But despite my lack of experience, they�re worth a try since they�re so adorable. I don�t know what kind they are; the tag just lumps them all together and calls them �assorted�. If you know what kind of Sempervivum this is, please let me know.

2) Lychnis x arkwrightii 'Orange Dwarf�


This lovely plant has mahogany foliage and promises orange-red flowers midsummer. I picked up a couple of these, and since they enjoy a sunny spot, I added them to the new area in the back.


3) Dianthus carophyllus 'Golden Sun'

What garden would be complete without some pretty carnations, especially the ones with golden-yellow blooms? Certainly not mine. So I picked up two of these:


And added them to the new section out back:


4) Rudbeckia hirta �Marmalade�


Ah, yes, black-eyed susan... This is my pride and joy of the week; a plant that will grace my backyard with large golden-orange daisies from mid-summer to fall. Does it get any better than this? I picked up a couple of these and planted them in the new section:



That�s it for the plants, but before I end this post, there�s one more addition that is extremely important:


It�s Smiley the gnome! See how happy he is in his new home? Such a cheerful little fella. His buddy, Chuckles, is just a few short feet away; and just as jolly.

Oh, and finally, this is what the new flower bed looks like to date:


It�s really coming along nicely. Just a few more plants and it�ll be completely full.

0 comments:

Post a Comment