Friday 23 April 2010

More Cool Plant Purchases!

I�ve been having the time of my life this past week, picking up pretty plants, taking them home and adding them to my (no longer completely empty) garden. Since we moved here last June, I�ve been planning for this by researching about plants and learning as much as I can about them. And by putting some money aside a little at a time to create a garden budget that I can work comfortably with. Well, all that work is now paying off nicely. My main focus is perennials because of their long term investment potential. Not only will many of them last for many, many years, but a lot of them will make babies that I can share with other gardening friends (that means you, Joy!) and that I'll be able to transplant to other areas of the garden.

So, what�s new this time?

Well, these four plants below...

1) Phlox �Drummond Pink�



According to the tag, this is a new plant, which doesn�t mean very much to me since I haven�t grown any type of phlox before and haven�t gardened outdoors for over a decade. Still, I thought I�d mention it. Also according to the plant�s tag, I should be expecting brilliant pink flowers with dark, pink centers on narrow, dark green foliage. Sounds good to me.

I bought two of them and added both to the new flower bed.


This is what the new area looks like so far.


2) Hemerocallis �Little Grapette�


There was no way I could resist this pretty daylily with its grape-purple petals. I can�t wait to see it in bloom.

I added it to the front of the house, at the corner of the planting area, where it can receive some sun.


3) Pulmonaria �Raspberry Splash�


I have never seen this plant before; it is stunning. It�s supposed to make some pretty flowers, but I�d be happy with the foliage alone.


I added it to the front of the house where there�s minimal sun since it prefers shade, and because I want to show it off to the neighbourhood.

2) Brunnera macrophylla �Jack Frost�



�Jack Frost� is the highlight of my week. I can�t believe I found this plant that I adore. It has the most stunning foliage, and it�s perfect for those shady locations. I bought two and added them both to the front of the house.

This is what that area looks like with the new plants:



It�s obviously in need of a lot more plants, but with the three hostas starting to grow (I planted them last year) and some bulbs I picked up a few weeks ago that I�ll be adding in a couple of weeks, it will slowly fill up.

And if that�s not enough, I�m going to have to force myself to drive over to a gardening center to pick up more plants. I won�t enjoy it, of course.

[grin]

0 comments:

Post a Comment