Tuesday 27 April 2010

Sweet Spiced Baby Carrots

Carrots have never been my favourite food, but since they are packed with vitamins, I do try to make some now and again for the family. Very few recipes interest me when it comes to these vegetables, so when I run across one that I believe everyone will enjoy, it gets added to the �family favourites� binder.

Below is a tasty carrot recipe I ran across in Canadian Family Magazine (April 2010 edition) that I hope you�ll enjoy as much as I did.


Sweet Spiced Baby Carrots

Serves 6
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: about 20 minutes

Ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 � 1b whole baby carrots (peeled and trimmed if with stems), halved lengthwise if thick
1 tsp ground cumin
1 � cup each orange juice and water
2 tbsp sugar
� tsp each salt, and freshly ground pepper

Preparation:

1) Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add carrots and cumin; cook for 2 minutes.


2) Add remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered on medium-low for 20 minutes or until carrots are fork-tender.


Nutrients per serving:
89 calories, 5 g fat, 52 mg calcium, 36 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 1 g protein.

0 comments:

Post a Comment