Thursday 8 April 2010

Today's Trivia - Alfred Hitchcock and Ovaphobia

Phobias. We all have at least one. I have two: heights and wormlike bugs. Throw a millipede at me and you�ll see me running through a wall if need be to get away from it. Funny but true. Or rather, sad but true. There are many phobias out there; rational and irrational. I believe that as long as they don�t hinder you from living a normal, productive life, it�s not the end of the world.

One of the most interesting ones I ran across recently is ovaphobia - the fear of eggs. I can�t imagine why anyone would be afraid of eggs, but apparently some people are � even famous ones.


Did you know, for example, that Alfred Hitchcock had a morbid fear of eggs? He�s quoted as saying:

�I'm frightened of eggs, worse than frightened, they revolt me. That white round thing without any holes have you ever seen anything more revolting than an egg yolk breaking and spilling its yellow liquid? Blood is jolly, red. But egg yolk is yellow, revolting. I've never tasted it.�

Imagine that. The master of suspense was afraid � and repulsed � by tiny little eggs. Now there�s a fascinating piece of trivia to file away in the �interesting but absolutely useless information� file in your brain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment