Monday 10 May 2010

Congratulations To The New Parents!

I bet you�re expecting me to write about friends, neighbours or family members who just had a baby, aren�t you? Well, I�m not. Although technically it is neighbours of mine that just had babies (more than one!), they are of the �feathery� kind.

You see, Mr. & Mrs. Robin who built their nest at the top of an eavestrough that runs up the back wall of the house have had their babies! I�m not sure how many there are; the nest is much too high, and even with binoculars, I still can�t make out how many little robins there are because the babies are still too small and their little heads don�t quite make it over the side of the nest. But I have spotted a couple of little beaks waving in the air as the parents feed them, so there are certainly two of them. There could be more, and I�ll find out as soon as the little ones fly the coop. Literally.


In the meantime, I am really excited about this. I have a little bird family living here with us and I�ll get to see the step-by-step process of the development of the baby birds. It is so much fun!

The first clue that the babies had hatched was this:


It�s part of a robin egg shell. My husband noticed it and pointed it out to me. When I saw it, my heart stopped for a second because I thought the egg (or a baby bird) had fallen out of the nest, or some predator had attacked the nest and killed the unborn robins. So I was pretty horrified at first, but then I noticed that the robin parents were calm and that mama robin was sitting on her nest peacefully. And I said with relief, �Oh my God! The babies hatched� My husband looked at me quizzically and said �Yeah, what did you think?�

Sometimes it�s best to assess the situation properly before reacting. It�s better for the heart.

Anyway, I just wanted to announce to the world that my neighbours, Mr. & Mrs. Robin, are the proud parents of x amount of babies. I asked Mr. Robin if he was planning to pass around cigars and he said that he doesn�t smoke and will pass around grubs instead. He offered me one; I thanked him for his generosity but I politely refused. For obvious reasons.

0 comments:

Post a Comment