Tuesday 11 May 2010

How About Some Annuals?

This year is mostly about perennials since the entire landscape was void of greenery and in desperate need of some, but that doesn�t mean I�m not squeezing in an annual or two � or three or four � when possible. Annuals are wonderful for containers that decorate the deck or entranceway of a home, and they�re also attractive additions, albeit temporary, to perennial gardens.

So, with that being said, here are a few lovely annuals placed around my home:

1) New Guinea Impatiens �Divine Cherry Red�


I can�t stress enough how much I love New Guinea Impatiens; they are one of my favourite annuals for the garden, mostly because of their cool-looking foliage. This one caught my interest because of the deep red flowers it will produce. I picked up one, planted it in a container and placed it in front of the house for the world to see.


2) Osteospermum �Purple Red�


If the flowers look anything like what the tags promises, I�ll be in heaven. I picked up three of these, planted them all in the same container and placed them at the front of the house.


3) Dahlietta Caroline


You gotta love dahlias; they are simply stunning. No garden should be without a few of these. I picked up this one for its dark red flowers and potted it up with the plant below.

4) Magilla Perilla



A coleus look-alike, I couldn�t resist this plant with gorgeous leaves. Little did I know (I discovered this after I took it home and did some research on it) that it�s an extremely popular foliage annual. Even if it wasn�t, I still would have picked it up.

Dahlietta Caroline & Magilla Perilla are planted together in a container that sits in front of the house.


5) Goldalia Orange


It�s taken a huge amount of self-control to keep from bringing home every type of dahlia I run across. I�ve been relatively reasonable until now and only brought home a few, like this one with its gorgeous orange blooms with yellow centers. I planted it in a container that I placed on the deck.


That�s all the annuals for this post. There are a few more to list but I�ll write about them one another day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment