Thursday 20 May 2010

The Latest Additions To The Garden

I�ve been insanely busy lately. In addition to all the gardening needed to be done this year, there are a lot of other things going on that I won�t be getting into right now. Eventually I�ll share some interesting � and exciting � news with my blog visitors. But not today.

Today, I�m going to share the latest additions to the garden.

1) Lilium �Pixie Pink�



I received two of these lovely liliums from my younger daughter for Mother�s Day. How did she know that I love these plants more than any other? And that getting me some for the garden would literally make my day? It couldn�t possibly have been the �there are some lovely liliums at Home Depot that would make a wonderful gift for Mother�s day� statement, could it? Nah.

Anyway, I planted both of these pretty little things in the new flower bed out back.


That area now looks like this:


2) Echinacea purpurea Doubledecker


This is the most interesting coneflower I�ve seen to date locally. I brought one home and planted it under the kitchen window.


3) Hemerocallis 'Crimson Pirate'


This was another lucky find; a beautiful daylily in a $2 pot. It doesn�t get any better. I added this lovely plant under my kitchen window.


Here�s a look at the area under the kitchen window:


4) Hosta undulata �Albo-marginata�



Happiness is finding a hosta with beautiful foliage, like this one, in a small pot that only costs a couple of dollars. I bought two of these and added them both to the right side of the house.


5) Heuchera americana 'Dale's Strain'



I�m starting to take notice of the heuchera plants with their lovely foliage. Quite a few of them have popped up at the garden centers this month, but I�m concentrating on the small, more affordable sizes. I picked up one of these and added it to the right side of our home.


6) Heuchera micrantha �Palace Purple�


Another lovely heuchera with deep purple to bronze foliage. I picked up a couple of these and planted them in front of the house.


The front and right side of the house to date:


7) Lilium x 'Lemon Pixie'


Just like you can never have too many coneflowers in the garden, you can never have too many liliums in the garden. I picked up two of these at Walmart for only $2 each; I planted both on the right side of the backyard.


8) Lilium x 'Crimson Pixie'


Another lilium, you ask? But of course. The more, the merrier. This one promises gorgeous crimson-red blooms that I really look forward to seeing. I bought two (also for only $2 a piece) and planted them on the right side of the back yard � right next to the Lilium x 'Lemon Pixie' plants.


9) Hosta (unknown)


I did not buy this hosta. I dug it up from the left side of the house, an area that I don�t intend on adding plants to for many reasons. This hosta came with our home when we bought it, and because it had been there for so many years, it was huge. So I divided it and got five plants out of it! Pretty cool, huh? All five of these hostas were planted on the right side of the backyard. (If you know what hosta this is, please let me know)

The right side of the yard to date:


There is still a lot of work to be done in this area.

That�s it for today, folks. There have been a lot more changes and additions to the garden, which I will get to at some point.

0 comments:

Post a Comment