Wednesday 6 April 2011

Signs Of Life In The Garden

I haven�t spent as much time in the garden in the past week as I�d hoped to, but I did manage to get outside to do some cleaning up. While I was out there, I also checked out the condition of certain plants, and checked for signs of life. Below are a few pictures of my garden�s condition.


The roses handled the winter extremely well. There were barely any dead or damaged branches, and none of them were broken. I can�t wait to see how they all fare this year.

These are photos of two out of three of the bigger roses. There are a gazillion miniatures ones in my garden, as well.



My Dwarf Korean Lilac, an adorable little tree that grows no more than about 5 feet is starting to show ever so subtle signs of life.



The Hydrangea macrophylla 'Nikko Blue', which I was concerned would have a tough time, handled the winter like a true northerner. And it�s coming to life...




Iris pallida �Aureo Variegata� (Gold-variegated Sweet Iris), given to me by a 90-year-old garden-loving neighbour, has decided it�s warm enough to begin growing.



Euphorbia polychroma was one of my favourites last summer, and I�ve not doubt it�ll be a favourite this year, too. It�s easy to grow, easy to please. It�s easy, easy, easy... And it�s one of the first plants in the garden to get going in the spring. Love it.



The Campanula persicifolia 'Alba' (white peachleaf bellflower) was an end of the season impulse buy that didn�t have enough time to grow very much before the cold months arrived, so I�m not sure how I feel about it since I haven�t seen how it�s supposed to look when full grown. I took this photo because I was amazed that the foliage is intact after the winter. I�m not sure if the leaves are alive or not, or if I should chopping them back, which I probably should, but it�s still impressive enough to be added to this post.


Looking around at a few of the garden beds that look so dead, it�s hard to believe that there are actually plants in there that will grow huge over the next few weeks, and grace us with their gorgeous blooms. But they will. And it�ll be wonderful Can�t wait.




0 comments:

Post a Comment