Friday 11 November 2016

Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada; a day to honour those who have served and sacrificed for our peace and freedom. Many of us are enjoying the liberties we enjoy because of these individuals and I think we should be grateful to them every day.

WE REMEMBER

It�s been quite an emotional and stressful week for my American friends. Actually, the whole year has been thorny. But the last few days have been particularly difficult. I�m sorry that you have dealt with this conflict and continue to do so. My wish for all of you is that you come together as a country and work toward healing and harmony. There are people out there who are continuing to fuel anger and division. Why not be someone who promotes peace and unity?


Speaking of anger and division, I am really close to ending a friendship with a woman I�ve known since we were twelve. I thought I knew her. Turns out I really don�t. We are on opposite sides of the spectrum on many issues and that�s okay. What�s not okay is the bashing that I see on her Facebook page toward people with opposing political and social views and opinions. One of her distastes (or rather, revulsions) is liberals. I don�t care if she likes or doesn�t like the liberal mindset. What I do care about is the name calling. Things like: �progressive puppets�, �stupid liberals�, �dimwit liberals� and so on. Well, I am a liberal. And so are my daughters and many others I know. When she tosses those insults around in such a harsh manner, she also targets us in a harsh manner. There is no need for it. My circle consists of liberals, conservatives and everything in-between. And we get along - and will continue to get along - just fine, even while debating an issue, as long as we don�t resort to that kind of behaviour. Why can�t she state her opinion without all the name-calling? And how can we possibly remain friends when she feels this way?


Anyhow, I just finished my second cup of coffee, my slow cooker is plugged in, the sun is shining and the weekend is here. Life is good. I�m going to end this blogging week with yet another song that I hope I haven�t already shared. It�s �Stand by you� by Rachel Platten. Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment