Tuesday 30 March 2010

Greek Butter Cookies

Seeing that Easter is just around the corner, I decided I�d share the recipe for some traditional Greek butter cookies that are typically made at Easter and eaten after Holy Saturday. These butter-based treats are the perfect accompaniment with morning coffee or afternoon tea, and a delicious snack in a child�s lunchbox. And because they�re so tasty, I don�t limit myself to making them only at Easter; I make them year round for the family.


GREEK BUTTER COOKIES (Koulourakia)

4 sticks (1 pound) butter, unsalted, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons double-acting baking powder
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream butter and gradually beat in sugar.

Beat eggs until light; add to butter mixture and beat thoroughly.

Add vanilla extract.

Sift together flour and baking powder. Carefully blend into butter-egg mixture to make a soft dough. Shape dough with lightly floured hands into desired shapes and arrange on ungreased cookie sheets.

Brush with beaten egg and water.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on racks.


Note:

1) You can reduce the recipe by � if you want to make fewer cookies.

2) Store the cookies in a dry location in a sealed jar.

3) There are three things I do differently:
  • I do not brush the cookies with the egg and water mixture; although it will give the cookies a nice colour, it�s not necessary to do so.

  • I reduce the amount of sugar by 25% (1/4) because I find the cookies too sweet with the full sugar measurement. Instead of 2 cups of sugar, I add 1 �. You�ll determine your perfect sugar level after you�ve made your own batch.

  • I store the cookies in the refrigerator because I like them cold. You can microwave them for a few seconds if you want to warm them up.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment