Tuesday 18 May 2010

Greek Souvlaki

Descended from Greeks, there�s no doubt that I�ve eaten Souvlaki (a popular Greek food consisting of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer) several times in my life at restaurants, while visiting friends and family, and by preparing it at home. There are a number of ways to prepare this meal; here�s one from one of my cookbooks.


Greek Souvlaki

2 garlic cloves crushed
� cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I use canola)
4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (2 tablespoons dry)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound pork or chicken

In a bowl, mix together garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cut meat into �-inch cubes. Add meat to marinade and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (I usually leave it in the fridge all day).


Thread meat onto skewers (I add red peppers and cherry tomatoes). Preheat grill or broiler.


Cook, turning occasionally, 10 minutes or until meat is cooked.


Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment