Tuesday 10 June 2014

Hometown Memories: No Jacket For You!

My kids discovered early on that when they asked me for something that �ohmygod-every-kid-in-the-world-has-it-except-for-me�, I had no trouble saying no, and that no amount of pouting, crying, pleading, tantrum-throwing or "you-are-the-meanest-mother-in-the-whole-wide-world" calling was going to change that. I had no intention on raising kids with a sense of entitlement, and the lesson to be learned was that if they really wanted something badly enough, they�d have to pay for it themselves. It was a hard lesson to learn, but learn it they did.

My girls when they were 10 and 5.
My smart-ass, eye-rolling, rebellious,
know-it-all, bleach blond, self-permed hair period.

I understand how frustrating these lessons were for my daughters because I was just as frustrated when these same lessons were being taught to me by my parents who said �no� to many, many, oh-so-MANY things. No matter how desperately I wanted them.

One particular time stands out in my mind when I was about 16; that smart-ass, eye-rolling, rebellious, know-it-all period we all go through. There was a really cool jacket being worn by some of the girls in school that I just had to have because �ohmygod-every-kid-in-the-world-has-it-except-for-me�.

I pleaded with my mother to buy it for me, describing it as a good winter jacket, which it wasn�t, and that it would be a practical purchase, which it wouldn�t be. She gave it the benefit of the doubt, and went with me to the store where it was being sold. Excitedly, I pointed out the jacket, and after looking it over, she said in no uncertain terms: �ABSOLUTELY NOT!� There was no way she was going to spend hard earned money on this cheap quality, over-priced, sorry excuse for a jacket. NO WAY!

This used to be a clothing store when I was a teen, and it's where my 16-year-old world was shattered
when my mother refused to buy me the
ohmygod-every-kid-in-the-world-has-it-except-for-me jacket.

Well.

My 16-year-old self was not pleased, and you can just imagine the drama that ensued. But my mother didn�t budge. She stuck to her guns, and although I wasn�t pleased with her that day, and for many days to follow, I thanked her for that hard lesson when I got older. She taught me the value of money. She taught me to work hard towards something I want. She taught me to appreciate whatever I acquired because it doesn�t come easy. And she taught me to live within my means.

Did you ever really want something as a kid and your parents refused?

0 comments:

Post a Comment