Wednesday 20 April 2016

Question Of The Day


I love homemade food (there's nothing quite like it), so I don't mind putting in the effort to be able to enjoy that. In addition, I like finding new and interesting recipes, and then going out to shop for the ingredients.

Speaking of which, here is the most awesome lentil soup recipe in the history of awesome lentil soup recipes. Very easy to prepare and extremely delicious. Lentils are something I wouldn't touch as a kid but have grown to really enjoy as an adult. Maybe because I found recipes that work for me.

FAST AND FILLING RED LENTIL SOUP

Ingredients:
4 cups water or vegetable broth
1 (796ml 28oz) can whole or chopped tomatoes
2 potatoes cubed
3 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon sea salt
Pepper to taste
Handful of fresh cilantro, minced

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a large pot, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add minced cilantro and serve.

** Here are some things I change/add: **
- Instead of three carrots, I often use 1 carrot (chopped) and 1 sweet potato (cubed). Yummy!
- I use fresh tomatoes (chopped) instead of canned (a noticeable difference in flavour!).
- I add additional broth to make the soup more watery (1/2 or 1 cup at a time until it's exactly how I like it).
- I usually skip the rosemary or just add a pinch (that's a bold flavour that not everyone likes).
- I also just add a pinch of thyme instead of a whole teaspoon or skip it altogether.
- I have never added cilantro to the soup.

Enjoy!

So, do you like to cook?

0 comments:

Post a Comment