Tuesday 26 April 2016

You Asked, I Answer (D�j� vu, All Time Favourites and Dangerous Things)

Another week, another bunch of answers to questions from this year's 'Ask Me Anything� post.

And away we go...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron asked:
Do you ever have "deja vu"? with smells/sounds/tastes and if so one that is so prominent that it appears in dreams and every day life!!

It only happens occasionally now but earlier in life, from my childhood up until my late thirties or so, I used to have d�j� vu experiences quite often. It was especially prevalent during my teen years, and although certain smells, sounds and tastes would trigger it, it would happen mostly in the outdoors. For example, I�d be walking down a street and WHAM d�j� vu. Or I�d be opening a door to enter a building and BAM d�j� vu. Sometimes it would happen when I was riding the bus or talking to someone on the sidewalk or hanging out with friends. There were many moments and places and conversations that seemed familiar and repetitive. And sometimes these unusual and peculiar experiences would occur while I was asleep. I�d have dreams that didn�t feel like dreams but rather like memories, and I�d wake up feeling like I�d been at the place I�d dreamt of before. Logically, I knew that I hadn�t been there before, but the place was inexplicably familiar, and the dreams would reoccur and continue, adding to the story. The one thing that does stir something deep inside me is being near the water, especially big bodies of water like the ocean. The sounds, sights and smells of these locations awaken emotions in me that I can�t quite define and try to bring memories to the surface that I can't quite reach. They seem to transport me to another time, another place.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bethany asked:
What are your all time favorite tv series, books, and movies?

Since the mid 90s, I�ve rarely if ever watched live TV, so whatever I�ve seen since then has been done by binge-watching series. But there are shows from my youth that stand out. For example, as a child I was head over heels in love with the dog, Lassie; watched every episode, cried a river of tears whenever that beautiful animal was in any kind of danger and would have taken on every chore in the house if only my parents would have allowed me to have a dog like that (it never happened). I was also a huge fan of Sesame Street, The Flintstones, Romper Room, The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour, Mr. Dressup (Canadian show), The Pink Panther, Spider-man, Batman and The Friendly Giant (also a Canadian show); just to name a few.

Some comedies that come to mind from my young(er) days include The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Carol Burnett Show (LOVED THIS!), The Brady Bunch, Get Smart, Green Acres, Monty Python's Flying Circus, All In The Family, Happy Days, Diff'rent Strokes, The Jeffersons, Sandford and Son, Three's Company, The Facts of Life, One Day at a Time, Taxi, Laverne and Shirley, WKRP in Cincinnati, Chico and the Man, Cheers, The Golden Girls, Family Ties, Who's the Boss?, Mork & Mindy, Soap, Ellen, Night Court, Home Improvement, Seinfeld, Night Court, The Odd Couple and Welcome back, Kotter, etc.

A few other shows in my earlier years include Bonanza, Adam-12, Charlie's Angels, The Waltons, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, The Twilight Zone, Batman, Star Trek, Ironside, Miami Vice, Wonder Woman, MacGyver, The X-Files, Knight Rider, Thirtysomething, Moonlighting, Little House on the Prairie, Starsky And Hutch, Emergency!, The Streets of San Francisco, The Incredible Hulk, Kung Fu, Quincy, M.E., Columbo, Night Gallery, The White Shadow, The Bionic Woman, Kojak, The Littlest Hobo, Hart to Hart, Falcon Crest, Dynasty, Highway to Heaven and so many more.

I can list a whole bunch of others but let�s stop here because this is spinning out of control!

Although I�ve seen many, many movies in my lifetime, I can�t say I have any favourites, although films like The Green Mile, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, To Kill a Mockingbird, Schindler's List, The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption, The Matrix, Back to the Future, The Silence of the Lambs, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, A Beautiful Mind, The Sixth Sense, 12 Years a Slave, Rocky, The Ten Commandments and The Life of PI are some I�d watch - and have watched - more than once.

As for books, that�s like asking me which is my favourite child. I read books at the rate that I inhale oxygen. Often and out of necessity. I can�t get enough, and although I could probably list some recommendations, it would take several pages. And who has time for that?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birdie asked:
What is the most dangerous thing you have ever done.

When I was about 11 years old, a man in his middle years had been following me to and from school one day. And on my way back to class after lunch (we used to go home for lunch), he walked up quickly to me, crowding me, saying things like �Help with the baby� and �We must hurry� and �The baby is sick� and on and on and on. As he spoke rapidly with desperation and nervousness in his voice, he also corralled me in a certain direction, right toward the entrance of a multi-unit building. Next thing I knew, I was walking into this triplex with this man right behind me. The door slammed shut, the world was left behind and the sudden understanding that I was in danger was so blatant, I struggled to breathe. I don�t think I�ve ever felt more terrified in my life.

The rest of the story is for another time but needless to say that since I�m in the here and now, things turned out well for me. Following that man into that building instead of running away screaming and calling for help is the most dangerous thing I�ve ever done. It is also the darkest and most haunting moment of my childhood. And something I kept secret until I was much older, mostly because I was afraid I'd get blamed (kids think it's always their fault) and also because I suppressed the memory because it was so traumatizing.

Every day since that day is a gift. Because I might not have been here.



And that wraps up another week of questions answered...save for one. Because I always save the most thought-provoking one for last. Check back next week for that. And if you haven't seen your question addressed, it may be because you haven't visited when the post for it was uploaded (shame on you! haha). Check the original post for a link to it.

Thank you to everyone for stopping by. Have a great day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment