Thursday 12 May 2016

It's Like Going To The Fair

IKEA. Some love it; some hate it. I belong in the former group. Let me loose in an IKEA store and I'm a happy camper. A very happy camper. It's one of the few shopping experiences I enjoy because I typically cannot stand shopping, especially clothes shopping. Hate that. Ah, but IKEA...

When we were living in Montreal, there was an IKEA store a few minutes drive from our home that I would visit occasionally. I usually didn't buy anything; most of the time I'd go there for a leisurely stroll and to enjoy the colourful displays. But at least it was always within reach.


Things changed in 2009 when we moved to Kingston where there is no IKEA. [insert sad face] Those strolls came to a screeching halt and in order to visit one of these furniture warehouses, we have to drive to Montreal, Toronto or Ottawa.

Ottawa...the big city closest to us...and where my younger daughter is now living. Oh my... [insert big goofy grin] Do you see where this is going?

So, in addition to helping my daughter move her things to her new apartment two days in a row at the beginning of this month, we also went to IKEA on both days. [insert me jumping up and down...and almost hurting myself]


The first day we went with my daughter and I bought her a few things; her favourite being a stand up mirror for her room. On the second, the most amazing man in the world and I stopped in on our way back home where in addition to buying some office furniture, we also enjoyed a wonderful late lunch.

Two trips to IKEA. I was elated. Whenever I go there, I feel like I'm visiting the fair. There is food and interesting attractions and pops of colour and bouncy rides and exciting displays. I get the urge to skip with joy all the way through. Because...sigh...IKEA...

How about you? Do you like IKEA?

0 comments:

Post a Comment