Tuesday 31 May 2016

Young Or Old, It's All The Same

I don't know how many times I've heard folks around my age (I'm 51) and older complain about the youth. That they're selfish and lazy and irresponsible and rude and inconsiderate and...on and on it goes.

Well, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Because that certainly hasn't been my experience. In fact, in all the years I've lived in this city, it's been quite the opposite. It's actually the older folks that have displayed those traits more often than the young.

Just this past month alone, I've witnessed some people from my generation and the generation before me being discourteous and demanding and impatient and brusque. I've seen them block entire aisles in stores and sigh with annoyance when someone attempts or politely asks to get by. I've seen them jump queues and pretend they don't understand the concept of taking turns. I've seen them interrupt servers and salespeople and cashiers while they are dealing with others because their needs have to be taken care of immediately. I've seen them being total menaces on the road and very unapologetic about it. And many who are working in customer service shouldn't be doing that type of work at all. They are bitter and impatient and annoyed at your very presence. They don't smile or say thank you or make you feel welcome.

On the other hand, many young'uns from the upcoming generations have been polite and considerate and accommodating and exceedingly patient. They have opened doors and apologized for blocking the way. They have been mindful of others and they have offered assistance, even to the bad-tempered, difficult and curmudgeonly older folks. They've smiled while serving and wished people a good day and been wonderfully gracious. They have been enthusiastic and friendly and pleasant conversationalists. They have brightened up my day more often than people my age and older.

Are all older folks cranky and snippy? Absolutely not. Some are as sweet as honey and packed with wisdom. And are all younger people full of sunshine and rainbows? No way. Some are pretty ill-mannered and self-absorbed.

My point is that positive or negative traits are not exclusive to any generation. Each one has its fair share of the good, the bad and the ugly!

What do you think? What has been your experience?

0 comments:

Post a Comment